Peppermint, the herb native to Europe, is considered to be the world‘s oldest medicine. Peppermint oil is a natural remedy that has no side effects, and for that reason is often called a wonder treatment.
Peppermint Oil History
Peppermint (Mentha Piperita) is a versatile herb and considered part of the mint family. It first appeared back in 1000 B.C In the past, the oil is produced by first putting dried peppermint leaves and stems in water, and then the water is filtered off, a slightly yellow colored oil is left which has a fresh and a minty smell. In a similar manner, Peppermint Oil is steam distilled today.
Uses of Peppermint Oil
The peppermint oil blends well with other oils such as eucalyptus, rosemary, lemon, lavender, marjoram and other mints. This traditional oil is found in many essential products used in daily life like soaps, toothpaste, chewing gum, and shampoos.
Please be aware that sometimes, this oil might irritate the eyes and skin hence it should be kept away from reaches of kids and pregnant women. Also, Peppermint oil should not be swallowed because it is slightly toxic.
Benefits of Peppermint Oil
- Peppermint oil gives cooling and soothing effect to head when massaged and helps in removing head lice, and treatment of dandruff. Regular use of peppermint oil helps people suffering from baldness and stimulates hair growth.
- Due to its menthol properties, daily application of it nourishes the skin and makes it pimple
- Eliminates bad breath and helps to reduce tooth decay, just have to add few drops of oil to the toothpaste.
- A good home remedy to provide quick relief from headaches and nausea, either by applying it in a diluted form on the forehead, temples, or back of the neck.
- For nausea, put a few drops of it on your wrists.
- Menthol, present in oil helps in clearing the respiratory tract thereby providing relief from problems like colds, cough, asthma, pneumonia, and bronchitis.
- For a backache, rub a generous amount (dilute with a carrier oil if needed) to the back area.
So if you prefer natural alternatives for health and beauty, then do consider the advantages of Peppermint oil.