Derived from living organisms, organic refers to food produced with the use of feed or fertilizer of plant or animal origin without using chemicals, growth stimulants, antibiotics, or pesticides.
Non-GMO means non-genetically modified organisms. Non-GMO products may also be referred to as heirloom plants. The opposite, GMO’s are plants that have had their DNA altered. GMO’s have faced a lot of criticism after several kinds of research shows the danger they pose.
However, organic and non-GMO are not functionally equivalent, but both guarantee that certain standards are followed.
Reason to Chose Organic and Non-GMO
- No Pesticides. Buying organic foods assure the absence of adverse health/toxic effects. Eating organically grown foods is the only way to avoid any form of chemical poisoning present in commercially grown food (Majorly GMO). Chemical poisoning can be through the pesticides used or artificial fertilizers. However, the perception that organic food is lower-calorie and healthier appears to be common. This thought process has a psychological effect on buyers even though these foods seem more expensive.
- Most people believe they can get a more nutritional value of vitamins, antioxidants, and essential minerals from organic and Non-GMO produce like fruits, vegetables, and grains than in genetically modified food. This widespread public belief that organic food and Non-GMO’s are safer, more nutritious, and of better taste than conventional food has largely contributed to the choice of buyers.
- Environmental Protection. Agricultural chemicals, pesticides, and fertilizers are poisonous to water supplies, contaminating the environment, and destroying fertile farmlands. But practicing mixed cropping where, after cultivation, crops that replenish the soil are planted to regain the lost fertility makes most people drift to organic. However, natural fertilizers can nourish the ground better and make crops look fresher while maintaining its original taste.
- Consumers are more concerned about irradiating food with electron beams or nuclear waste, which destroy vitamins and nutrients and produce chemicals that influence cancer such as benzene and formaldehyde. Organic discourages the use of irradiation and synthetic food additives.
- Ecological Balance. Farmers that are concerned more about which practice is best for the environment tend to prefer organic farming due to the ability to cycle resources, promote ecological balance, and conserve biodiversity.
- No Hormones. Some people prefer organic meat because antibiotics and hormones from other meat can enter the bodies of people who eat it. Hormones in food are seen to cause increased incidences of allergies, asthma, certain types of cancer, thyroid diseases, obesity, diabetes, endometriosis, uterine fibroids, and infertility. Mixing the fat of other livestock with the feed grain causes hormones to be present in the animal’s feed. Consequently, using antibiotics for animals used for food causes resistant bacteria strains to develop. These strains, in turn, may be harmful to human health. In addition, antibiotics in food might disrupt the healthy bacteria balance in the human gut.
- Encouraging Organic and Non-GMO‘s should be done to preserve several species of plants and animals from extinction.
- The environmental and ecological benefit of organic farming purifies the environment regarding greenhouse emission and land degradation.
Are you ready to make the switch? Sensational Shakes has numerous options available and we are ready to help.