Probiotics are the good bacteria that promote the healthy condition of our body. They play a vital role in regulating proper intestinal function and digestion by balancing intestinal microflora. Probiotics are live bacteria or yeast present in fermented food and dietary supplements such as yogurt, capsules, liquid and chewable.
Combating Health Problems With Probiotics
- In Treating Urogenital Problems: Probiotic fermented food and supplements can help women who suffer from urogenital infections recover without having to visit a gynecologist or a urologist. The abnormal vaginal microbial flora which leads to urinary tract infection can be subdued by using Probiotics for ensuring urogenital health. Probiotics help balance the delicate ecosystem in the body. Probiotic yogurt, which is nothing but regular yogurt fortified with the ‘probiotic bug’ (Lactobacillus among others) is an actively fermented food for normalizing Urogenital infections.
- It Stabilizes Blood Pressure: Certain probiotic strains such as lactobacilli and bifidobacteria can efficiently produce inhibitory peptides, which have shown potential hypotensive effects. Additional factors that control BP are as follows: a well programmed nutritional strategy, lifestyle, weight loss, reduced salt intake, low cholesterol diet, increased potassium intake, and moderate alcohol intake. In essence, consumption of functional foods incorporated with probiotics, such as cheese, milk, fermented dairy products, and non-dairy beverages can help regulate the blood pressure. According to an article on Probiotics and Blood Pressure: The Insight, published by Dove Press, all of these changes together should have a positive impact on blood pressure.
- It Increases Brain Function: It was found by researchers in the medical field that brain function of women improved when they regularly consumed probiotic – containing yogurt. It changed the way they responded to the environment. They summarized that probiotic bacteria might have the potential to change brain neurochemistry, treat anxiety, and alleviate depression-related disorders. This information is according to a study published in the Journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS).
- In Treating Diarrhea: Diarrhea is often caused by an intestinal (bowel) infection. As long as diarrhea isn’t severe, it is advisable to drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration and allow the virus to run its course. However, in small children and older people, the loss of fluid can quickly become so dangerous that special treatment or hospitalization is needed. In mild cases, people are advised to eat probiotic foods in addition to drinking additional fluids. Probiotic products have microorganisms like bacteria or yeast in them that reaches the bowel and suppress the germs causing diarrhea as well as help the body fight them.
There are still other significant health challenges Probiotics inhibits. Some are
- Probiotics reduce cholesterol esters especially those associated with bad saturated fatty acids in the blood.
- Bifidobacterium Infantis 35624 (Bifantis®), a member of the Probiotic strains, are very effective at managing Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
- Lactobacillus Salivarius another Probiotic strain, offers significant protection against Listeria bacteria infection.
Research has it that the best-known probiotics are lactic acid bacteria (lactobacilli). They are found in natural yogurt and other dairy products, as well as in some dietary supplements. The importance of Probiotics to our health cannot be overemphasized.
It is important to get probiotics from a variety of different supplements. A healthy individual will have over 50 different strains in their gut at any time (not to be confused with the number of cultures as most supplements contain billions of bacteria at a time). Most of the supplements we carry at Sensational Shakes have 4 – 10 different strains. We recommend changing from one probiotic supplement to another with every bottle consumed. It is equally important to vary types of yogurt and other foods containing probiotics to keep a variety of strains alive.